The Kildonan Burn is located at Baile an Or. The Suisgill Estate is prepared to allow, free of charge, recreational gold panning (i.e. not commercial or for financial gain) on the Kildonan Burn provided the rules, set out below, are observed. Panning is thus under licence from the Estate, and it should be understood that permission is not available through any other party. The Estate reserves the right to amend these rules at any time, to withdraw permission to pan, or to ban any person from gold panning permanently.
When gold panning on Suisgill Estate, you do so at your own risk and the Estate will accept no liability for any accident or injury you may incur.
1. All panners must place a note in the box in the shelter at Baile an Or setting out their name, address and vehicle registration, together with the dates of their intended panning.
2. Panning may take place upstream from the stone bridge road at Baile an Or to the ford (the first track crossing) at Grid Reference NC 916 227.
3. The maximum time allowed per year for any person is two weeks, which may be taken in not more than two periods.
4. Panning may only take place between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m., or dusk, if earlier.
5. Fires are not permitted by the estate. Any fire is a criminal offence in Scottish Law and will be treated as such.
6. All litter must be removed from the site. Bins are provided for your use.
7. Dogs should not be allowed to roam and must be kept at all times within 10 metres of the handler or kept on a lead.
8. Competitive or commercial panning is forbidden.
9. The following actions are expressly prohibited:- a) digging into, undercutting, or in any way damaging, the banks; b) breaking or prising of rocks and boulders (i.e. if it can not be moved by one person with their bare hands then it should not be moved) and c) the diverting of burns.
10. The only implements permitted are a pan, a hand sieve (or ‘riddle’), a hand trowel, a small spade and a gravel pump with a maximum barrel width of 2.5 inches.
11. The use of sluices and any tools or equipment other than those specified above is strictly prohibited. ‘Sluices’ include any set sieves. The users of any such equipment will be treated as trespassers.
It is in the interests of all concerned that the above rules are observed; otherwise, in the interests of environmental protection, all panning on Kildonan Burn will have to be prohibited.
If you suspect any of the above rules are being broken by another party, we would be grateful if you would report it to Derek our Keeper on 07800 817225.