Gold panning on the Suisgill Burn is strictly prohibited, except in the following circumstances:
– if you are over 70 you may, by written application to email@example.com, apply for a licence to pan the Suisgill Burn. Please include your full name, your vehicle registration number, the address you would like the permit to be sent to and the exact dates you would like to pan (maximum time allowed per year is two weeks, which may be taken in not more than two periods). A named female companion of any age will also be permitted.
– from 2012, guests staying at Balvallioch Cottage on Suisgill Estate will also be granted a licence to pan for gold on Suisgill Burn, subject to a maximum of 4 people per day. To do so you will, after payment of the balance for your booking, need to apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be required to supply the full names of all panners (this should be the lead booker and a maximum of 3 other people), the address you would like the permit to be sent to, and your vehicle registration number. On receipt of this application, you will be posted a signed letter of permission for the dates of your stay.
In either case, the rules as laid out below must be adhered to, and it should be understood that panning is under licence from the Estate and that permission is not available through any other party. The Estate reserves the right to amend these rules at any time, to withdraw permission to pan, or to ban any person from gold panning permanently.
When gold panning on Suisgill Estate, you do so at your own risk and the Estate will accept no liability for any accident or injury you may incur.
1. The panners must at all times carry with them the letter of licence.
2. Parking must be on or by the A897 new road bridge and not on the Greens.
3. Panning may take place upstream from the old stone bridge at Grid Reference NC 897 251, as far as where the track crosses the burn at Grid Reference NC 904 269.
4. The maximum time allowed per year for those over 70 is two weeks, which may be taken in not more than two periods. Balvallioch guests may pan for gold on Suisgill Burn during any week they are booked into Balvallioch cottage.
5. Panning may only take place between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m., or dusk, if earlier.
6. Fires are not permitted by the estate. Any fire is a criminal offence in Scottish Law and will be treated as such.
7. All litter must be removed from the site.
8. Dogs should not be allowed to roam and must be kept at all times within 10 metres of the handler or kept on a lead.
9. Competitive or commercial panning is forbidden.
10. The following actions are expressly prohibited:- a) digging into, undercutting, or in any way damaging, the banks; b) breaking or prising of rocks and boulders (i.e. if it can not be moved by one person with their bare hands then it should not be moved) and c) the diverting of burns.
11. The only implements permitted are a pan, a hand sieve (or ‘riddle’), a hand trowel, a small spade and a gravel pump with a maximum barrel width of 2.5 inches.
12. The use of sluices and any tools or equipment other than those specified above is strictly prohibited. ‘Sluices’ include any set sieves. The users of any such equipment will be treated as trespassers.
It is in the interests of all concerned that the above rules are observed; otherwise, in the interests of environmental protection, all panning on Suisgill Burn will have to be prohibited.
If you suspect any of the above rules are being broken by another party, we would be grateful if you would report it to Steven our Keeper on 07468 576418.